Saturday, August 9, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - Movie Rant/Review


This is a movie review for 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Movie spoiler alert on below content, read at your own risk.



Movie Review

For someone who grew up with the original Ninja Turtles I went into the movie with very low expectations. I also took my kid and a part of me worried she would be frightened with how they looked as she is normally accustomed to the cartoon. But to my pleasant surprise she still thought they were awesome.

A lot of young kids went to see this movie which is understandable but I do think that its very unlikely very young kids would follow the storyline. Its not a complex storyline at all but at least for my kid, if the turtles weren't on the big screen for a long stretch of time she would focus more on her popcorn. All my kid knows is that there are good guys and there are bad guys and the Ninja Turtles are the good guys.

Upon the start of the film we are introduced to April O'Neil played by Megan Fox. Overall, Megan Fox had too much screen time which only highlighted her bad acting. A part of me can't help but speculate if she was brought in to simply lure in more (male) audience members. Having witnessed first hand the audience that came out to see the movie (young kids and their parents) that strategy was a miss.

We eventually are introduced to the Ninja Turtles and through watching the movie I felt like they were a little unbalanced. They look like total badasses, the type of badass that could rip off your head with their bare hands, but then at times they would act and sound very childish. We are also introduced to Splinter, I didn't like his look at all, maybe its because I prefer him more furry.

There were not enough action scenes that highlighted their martial arts abilities. They are suppose to excel in Ninjitsu, I wanted to see some badass choreography and impressive weapons demos. But all we received was some weapons being swung around in an unimpressive manner and a few bodies flying through the air, meh.

This is random, but did anyone else notice that in one of the scenes where they are fleeing the area, in one shot you see Megan Fox and in the next shot (which is suppose to be a continuation of the same scene) you see Megan Fox again but this time her hair looks fresh with tighter curls and miraculously more lip gloss was applied?

There are many nitpicks I could give this movie but I'll just a name a few:

  1. One of the turtles called Splinter 'Father'. Yes, its true Splinter is their father figure but I like when they call him 'Master Splinter' or 'Sensei' 
  2. Splinter learned Ninjitsu from a book. He learned and mastered the art of Ninjitsu from a book! No, just no...
  3. Shredder looked like a miniature transformer. 
  4. When I think of Ninjas I think of stealth and invisibility, so why on Earth would they willingly leave behind a calling card?
Ok, I know it seems like I hated this movie but I actually overall thought it was enjoyable (I went in knowing it was created with a different vision). There was a lot of missed potential but I didn't hate the movie. Out of 100 I would give it a 50 and will probably rent it again once its out on RedBox. My kid also said she enjoyed it but she may be a little biased as she's a TMNT fan.

One last thing I'd like to add, I love the 'Shell Shocked' song, good beat and very catchy. I don't understand all the hate...


No comments:

Post a Comment