Sunday, March 2, 2014

Gravity - Movie Rant/Review

Movie spoiler alert on below content, read at your own risk.

Today I watched the much talked about movie Gravity starring Sandra Bullock. The movie is about how astronaut Sandra Bullock loses her crew and has to somehow find her way home to Earth against all odds.

We purchased this movie and watched it at home in 3D. If you have the ability to watch in 3D I recommend that you do, it does add a certain element of feeling like you are in a zero gravity environment.

I thought Sandra Bullock did a wonderful job portraying the fear and despair her character underwent in the movie. Considering the fact that she most likely did most of it in front of a green screen is really amazing.

The movie backdrop is beautiful. Everyday I'm surrounded by trash and ugly buildings and I forget just how beautiful Earth is. But back to the movie, in the beginning scene you see the astronauts are feeling light hearted and having fun (as much fun as you can have in space). Eventually they get an urgent call from Mission Control to get back to Explorer because of a debris field. At first Sandra Bullock is hesitant because she wants to get some work done. I am no astronaut, but if someone at NASA told me to get my ass back to the shuttle, I would drop everything and do what they told me (seems like a no brainer).

When the debris field knocked down the satellites George Clooney's character mentioned that half the nations Facebook went down. I thought this was pretty funny, I once lost power for 3 hours and I was devastated that I didn't have Internet.

There is a popular scene where Sandra Bullock takes off her space suit and we see her curl up into a fetal position as she floats in zero gravity. First of all, if they wanted it to be more accurate, they should have made Sandra Bullock wear an adult diaper instead of booty shorts. Now that would have been a sight to see!

There is also a scene where Sandra's character (its easier for me to call her Sandra!) has to detach a chute from her pod. She is outside with her drill that she briefly loses hold of and has to leap to grab it. If this is a real portrayal of how space tools are easily lost then NASA should take some pointers from Nintendo. If the makers of Nintendo strongly recommend wearing a wrist strap as you wave around a Wii remote in front of the TV, than surely it should be required that space tools should have some sort of wrist strap especially being in zero gravity. Once you let go of that tool and it floats away your done, you just added more junk to our ring of space trash.

This of course is a movie, so we know that Sandra Bullock through all the problems she runs into will make it to the end. I for one in this situation would have died a long time ago. Did you see how many manuals and buttons that pod had? I can barely follow the instructions required to put together a desk from Ikea let alone push the right buttons required to get back to Earth alive.

Space is no joke, this movie also reminded me how primitive our technology still is, it's no where near Star Trek status. I can't help but wonder if extraterrestrials from other planets are watching us and are saying, "Stupid humans and their stupid space litter!"

Overall I thought this movie was great and I recommend watching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment