Friday, August 16, 2013

Olympus Has Fallen - Movie Rant/Review

Movie spoiler alert on below content, read at your own risk.

We rented 'Olympus Has Fallen' at our local Red Box. I'm a fan of action movies so the odds of me enjoying the film were high. Overall I did enjoy the movie but there were a lot of little things that stood out to me, although it did not ruin the movie in any way.

In the beginning of the film we meet the main character played by Gerard Butler. Gerard fit in well within the action scenes of the film but the only thing that was off to me at times was his accent. In the beginning it seemed slightly country then as the film progressed it came across a little Jersey. But lets face it, we didn't rent the movie for good dialog or a solid plot, we rented the movie to see things blow up and for someone to swoop in and save the day. Another thing that bothered me was the opening action sequence. I find it a little hard to believe that all of the American Agents on duty would simply run through the front door at the 'bad guys'. In my mind, if ever a high profile person was taken hostage, I would think American Agents would swarm in from all different directions, snipers on the roof top, men jumping out from behind trash cans, men falling from the sky... But then again, if it were to make sense we wouldn't have a movie.

There were very intense scenes that took place in the bunker. Whenever I see scenes in a movie like this I always ask myself what I would do if I was in that situation. More than likely I would cry the entire time, even if I wanted to give up the 'codes' I would be too much of a bumbling mess to be able to get it out of me. There was one scene in particular where the 'good guys' evacuate one of the victims from the house. The soldiers rush the victim across the street and they all cheer in victory. In my mind, I wouldn't simply cross the street and cheer in victory. I would have evacuated the victim fully from the premises, maybe put 'em on a chopper to another state thats not being attacked. I do have to admit that the hand-to-hand combat scenes were spot on, very well choreographed. Not only did it look cool, it looked possible. During the final scenes our hero is required to enter in a deactivation code in order to save the world. My confidence was low as throughout the movie we see our hero type using two index fingers. He entered in the code and for a few seconds after the timer kept ticking down. For a brief moment I thought he must have forgot to hit the enter key. But rest assured all is well.

Overall great rental and kept me entertained. Have you seen the film, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment