Saturday, November 16, 2013

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - TV Series Review - Spoiler Alert


Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - TV Series Review - Spoiler Alert


I was browsing J-Drama's and came across this series. In a nut shell, boy and girl fall in love, she lives a upper class lifestyle and he's from the other side of the tracks. Not very original, I know. Although, it got good star ratings on Gooddrama.net so I decided to try it out. 

I'm trying a new format with my review and I'm going to document my experience, thoughts and feelings as I watch each episode. Spoiler alert, read at your own risk. 

Episode 1
I am watching the series with English subtitles and I'm already having trouble picking up the names of the characters. But then again its only episode 1. Immediate thoughts, these actors must be pop stars because their acting skills so far is horrific. The main female character comes off too pouty. The guy character doesn't translate emotions very well but at least he's nice to look at. Did anyone else notice Kazu from My Boss My Hero is in this series!?

The most ridiculous scene so far is when girl and guy fall into the pool. She's once again pouting because she lost her contact and the guy tries to find it. First off, if by some miracle he finds this contact in a huge pool of water (doubtful), are you really going to put that chlorine filled contact back in your eye? No, no your not. 

During the last half of the episode I feel a little more drawn in and curious. The girl waits for the guy on Halloween night and he almost doesn't show up. Is it just me who gets a little angst at the thought of anyone being stood up? But thankfully he does show up. At the end of the episode she finds out that he lied and that he's really poor! I'm excited that his charade was exposed early on. I think it would make for a better drama that way. 

So far, I'm curious but still not sold on watching the entire 10 episodes. Lets see if episode 2 will change my mind.

Episode 2
The horrible acting still continues but I'm trying hard to look past that. This episode I was able to pick up the character names: Nao = Girl, Hiroto = Guy , Ko = friend of Hiroto (previously played Kazu), Yuko = Nao's friend.  Each character is starting to grow on me (except for Ko whose just plain annoying). Nao for her straightforwardness and her innocence. Hiroto for how he takes care of his little brother. Yuko for being a good friend to Nao and not being judgmental of the fact that their new friends are poor.

I have to give Hiroto credit for not shying away from awkward moments. One of my dislikes is how much he smokes. Every time he puts a cigarette in his mouth I cant help my internal voice from saying, "keep that up and your going to lose your good looks". As for Nao, I really like how straightforward and honest she is. I picked this up in episode 1 but it seems pretty clear she has some medical issues (or maybe I'm totally wrong). One of my major dislikes with the series so far is the fact that they are suppose to be adults, at least out of high school, but they act like toddlers! Nao, throwing a tantrum because she wanted the "shiny orange thingy"!

Not the best J-Drama so far, but lets see where this goes.

Notes:
Did anyone else think that Nao's grandmothers house looked similar to Soichiros house in the manga series Stepping on Roses?

Episode 3
The characters are slowly developing. It broke my heart when Hiroto's little brother was crying and how Hiroto had to get on his knees and beg to keep his fathers business alive. Nao at one point had yet another tantrum. Nao and Hiroto have many cute moments, especially at the end of the episode. Hiroto in the end narrates that this is the beginning of their tragedy. I translate those words that she is going to die in the end, similar to the movie 'A Walk to Remember'. I hope that's not the case because I prefer happy endings. I guess ill have to keep watching to find out.

Episode 4
Things are starting to get interesting. We suddenly get a visit from Hiroto ex girlfriend whose back in town hitting him up for money. Ko surprisingly shines this episode as he practically calls out Yuko for being a bitch to him while out on a date. The climax of the episode is when Nao lets Hiroto's little brother play baseball and he ends up in the emergency room. Hiroto has harsh words for Nao and with some added deception from Hiroto's mother, its safe to assume the two have broken up. Nao's father finds out about Hiroto and is cautious, he thinks Hiroto is after money and that is why he's interested in Nao. Hiroto finds out about Nao's illness, I knew it was bound to come but it was still sad :(

Note:
There were so many advertisements during this episode I'm amazed i made it through to the end.

Episode 5
Yoku was being incredible cruel this episode as she totally dissed Ko in front of her friends and he has been nothing but nice to her. As far as the others, Hiroto's little brother is as adorable as ever. Hiroto and Nao seem to be making some very big promises to each other. Nao almost gets kidnapped but is stopped by Hiroto and Nao's brother. Is it just me, but wouldn't you call the police after an attempted kidnapping?What I do like about Nao's character is her fire, she doesn't listen to anyone but herself. Her brother was ordering Nao not to see Hiroto again and Nao without missing a beat ran straight back to Hiroto.

Episode 6
For someone who said they didn't like lying Nao sure said a lot of lies this episode. I totally understand Hiroto wanting to defend Nao's honor, but did he really have to grab the blade, really? The cutest scene was when Hiroto asked Nao if she wanted to be part of his future. The tables have turned for Yoku, Ko is now ignoring her and its well deserved.

Episode 7
Hiroto is so strong, you cant help but root for him to be happy at the end. His mother is once gain ruining his life and honestly if she were to leave her two sons it would be the best thing she could do for them at this point. So many problems arisen from this episode and there is only a few remaining. Nao has been pretty much forbidden to see Hiroto again. All I can do at this point is hope and hold my breathe that everything turns out ok in the end.

Episode 8
Ren, Hiroto's little brother, you just want to squeeze him he's so cute. When he gave the mini speech about whales communicating my heart melted. Hiroto making a ring out of a nut is pretty neat. But did anyone else think he might cut his leg off with the way he was swinging around that power tool? The ring came out pretty cool and he ended up dropping it in the ocean. Maybe I'm a little perv, but did anyone else think that they had sex when they stayed the night on that boat?

Episode 9
Ok, so I make it all the way to episode 9 just to have them break up?! Ko gets married and hate to say it, his new wife is not cute. But as long as he is happy is what really matters. Nao is not with Hiroto and is going to marry another guy!? What the hell is going on here? One episode left, how can they come back from this without shaming Nao's entire family. Headaches.... all I have right now is a massive J-Drama headache.

Episode 10
Last episode, started watching with less than enthusiastic feelings. When she was back at Hiroto's old house I was hoping she would come across that ring he made. Overall I am glad that they ended up together in the end. But would it kill the writers to throw us a bone and at least show a pic of them married one day living happily ever after? Im confused with the ending somewhat, did she still leave for that teaching job and they now have a long distant relationship? Why cant he go with her to Hokkido?

Overall this drama was just ok. Did not wow me, but I wanted to see how it ended. It could have had a better ending, it somewhat feels like there was suppose to be a season 2.

Hana Yori Dango drags you through the mud for 2 seasons and a movie and its worth every minute.  They tie up all loose ends. This drama... not so much. What did you all think? What J-Dramas do you recommend next?

No comments:

Post a Comment