Thursday, November 28, 2013

Bloody Monday - TV Series Review - Spoiler Alert


This is a review of TV series Bloody Monday - Spoiler Alert - Read at your own risk

If you enjoyed the American TV series "24" you will without a doubt enjoy this series. Just replace Jack Bauer with a handsome high school hacker genius and place them in Japan and you essentially have the same show.

In short, the series is about a plan of biological terrorism and the anti-terrorism group THIRD-i attempt to stop them. THIRD-i eventually recruits hacker Falcon aka Takagi Fujimaru for help.

This series has absolutely made its way into my top 10 list. Every actor was superb and every episode left me with my jaw hanging open saying "Whhhaaattt?!" The TV series was suspenseful and well written. Bio-terrorism is a real and scary thing, the mere thought of it makes chills go down my spine. Especially for someone like me who lives in a big city. I normally do a better job of including spoilers in my reviews but so much happened, so many twist and turns that I just cant remember it all. So I will at least list out the things that stood out to me.

I've said this before in a previous review but I will say it again,  Miura Haruma truly has talent. Every episode I watched it felt like his character was a real person that's how well of an acting job he did.

His character Takagi is going to need some serious therapy after all he has been through. In the series Takagi is conflicted with trying to figure out what side his father is on. Even though all signs pointed to the fact that his father was a shady bastard, I refused to believe he was a bad guy. No way a bad guy could produce two beautiful well rounded children.

Look how handsome this guy is! Too young for me to swoon over but if I had a daughter around his age I was surely approve.















One of my favorite THIRD-i officers was Minami Kaoru (played by Ashina Sei). I think I was captivated by her beautiful long hair. Every time I would see her I would have the urge to grow my hair out very long again. But then I start to think back to how much it would weigh and how my hair used to try to strangle me at night when I was sleeping and I think, not a good idea after all.

Note: This is the third drama I've watched where a female character was named Minami, is this a common name in Japan?












Another character I liked was Kujo Otoya (played by Sato Takeru). Loyal and loving friends always play a positive tune with my heart strings.

But I must point out that Otoya's hair was a total tragedy in this series. He woke up everyday and purposely teased his hair until it looked like a rats nest on top of his head. I felt it distracted away from his beautiful face.













Charachter Kanzaki Jun (played by Narimiya Hiroki) was a well picked villain. Actor Narimiya is probably a nice guy but in the tv series he was totally creepy. I suppose that means the actor did a very good job. His smile would remind me of the Cheshire Cat and every time I would see that smirk on his face I just felt that he was up to no good.



















On a different note, after watching the series, it left me with a few random question I keep asking myself:

  1. During 90% of the hacking Falcon performed, all the computer code was done in English. I guess I assumed that most of the code would be in Japanese. I am not a computer whiz but am I off base here?
  2. Just how do you type kanji? There are so many characters and not enough keys on a key board. 

Overall I would highly recommend watching this TV series. It keeps you on your toes, keeps you wanting more and if anything else the actors leave no shortage of eye candy.

What did you all think? What drama do you recommend watching next?

No comments:

Post a Comment