Saturday, November 23, 2013

Samurai High School - TV Series Review - Spoiler Aler

I watched another J-Drama series this weekend and it did not disappoint. Spoiler alert on the below content, read at your own risk.

Samurai High School - TV Series Review

I've come across this series title a few times but always thought the concept seemed a little cheesy. This weekend I decided to take the plunge and watch the series, its only 9 episodes after all.

In summary, our main character Kotaro is possessed by a samurai spirit who coincidentally shares the same age and name as him. Whenever Kotaro is in danger the samurai spirit takes over his body. Kotaro has to figure out what the Samurai spirit wants.

When I first started watching episode 1 I initially felt like Kotaro came across a little to wacky/childish for my taste. But near the end of the episode when Kotaro becomes possessed by the samurai spirit for the first time and turns into a total badass I was hooked.

This series was fun and entertaining. Kotaro walking around with a ruler in his pants like its a katana, so funny! Samurai Kotaro asking Ai (his childhood friend/crush) if she wanted to bear his children. He also told Ai friend that he was spoken for but looked her over once more and said she could be his concubine. Those were only a few of many funny moments.

I must have a thing for long hair on guys because Kotaro was so darn handsome especially when he was in samurai mode. I have to give credit to actor Haruma Miura (played Kotaro) he was such a great actor in this series and genuinely has talent. Some of my series gripes include Nakamura character. He just seemed too odd and always mumbling. Words would come out of his mouth but I could barely see his lips moving. Also Ai character, it seemed like she was always pursing her lips and those leggings, not working for her. Maybe if they were below the knee it would have looked better.

A few things that made the wheels in my head turn. Whenever Kotaro turns into samurai mode he always ties his hair in a pony tail (which looks sexy).  I couldn't help but laugh at picturing him getting beat up by a gang of men and being like "hold on a second I have to do my hair". Also, there is a small very small part of me that wondered if he was suffering from schizophrenia. On the other end of the spectrum, the death poem of the samurai was beautiful. Is that a real well known poem?

This may sound strange, but watching the series I actually felt like I learned something. There is something about living honorably and standing on the side of justice that really struck a chord in my heart (I must be watching too many dramas).

I do recommend watching this series, the star rating it received on gooddrama.net was well deserved.

What did you all think and what do you recommend next?

No comments:

Post a Comment